Presentation of 15 Health Benefits of Vitamin B6
Nutrient B6 is also known as Pyridoxine, most commonly as Nutrient B Complex. Nutrient B Complex is a combination of Vitamin B6 with other required B vitamins. It is a water-soluble vitamin, important for the proper functioning of protein, fat and carbohydrate metabolism in the body. It is an important vitamin for maintaining a healthy body by ensuring proper growth and development of various body parts such as the brain, nerves, skin, etc. and strengthening the immunity system. It can also prevent and treat a number of chronic diseases. It helps in the formation of Red Blood Cells (RBCs) and neurotransmitters.
Causes for Deficiency of Vitamin B6
The deficiency of Vitamin B is rare as it can be obtained from various common foods or supplements easily. In rarest of the rare cases, the causes of its deficiency can be:-
- Protein-Energy Undernutrition (PEU), an energy deficit due to deficiency of a number of micronutrients.
- Malabsorption, a nutritional deficiency.
- Use of pyridoxine – inactivating drugs such as antiseizure drugs, cycloserine, hydralazine, etc.
- Excess loss during Hemodialysis
Signs and Symptoms for Deficiency of Vitamin B6
- Sudden or Gradual Total Starvation,
- Hair Loss,
- Skin Atrophy,
- Weight Loss,
- Chronic Diarrhea,
- Abdominal Bloating, and Gas,
- Profuse Sweating,
- Anxiety Attacks,
- Increasing Confusions,
- Poor Sleep with Frightening Dreams,
- Severe Depression,
Health Benefits of Intake of Vitamin B6
- Mood Regulation and Reduces Depression
Vitamin B6 plays a vital role in regulating emotions, blood pressure and results in reducing the chances of depression, and other psychiatric problems.
- Makes Brain Healthier and Reduces Risk of Alzheimer
It helps in the healthy growth and development of the brain and other body parts by reducing homocysteine level. It also reduces the risk of Alzheimer’s disease but if taken in a limited or prescribed dose, otherwise a high dose of B6 can increase the chances of Alzheimer’s.
- Prevents and Treats Anaemia
Anemia is developed when the cells don’t get enough oxygen due to low hemoglobin. B6 is involved in producing hemoglobin that helps to prevent the chances of Anaemia.
- Helpful in dealing with Pre-Menstrual Syndrome (PMS)
B6 is great at dealing with the symptoms of Pre-Menstrual Syndrome (PMS) because of its most effective properties related to mood regulation and the formation of neurotransmitters.
- Prevents and Treats Morning Sickness
B6 is one of the most important ingredients in the medications used for treating morning sickness mostly found in women during pregnancy.
- Treats Nausea and Vomiting during Pregnancy
It is being used for decades for the treatment of Nausea and Vomiting during Pregnancy, as it is most effective in the treatment of morning sickness and ensures a healthy pregnancy.
- Prevents Blockage of Blood Vessels and Heart Diseases
“Lesser the Blood vessels, Higher the Risk of Heart Diseases”. B6, being an important factor in balancing the blood vessels, hence, helps to reduce the risk of heart diseases and blockage of arteries as well.
- Prevents Cancer to a Great extent
The weak immune system is one of the main reasons of cancer and many other chronic diseases. B6 is helpful in preventing such chronic diseases as it ensures a healthy immune system.
- Promotion of Eye Health and Prevention of Eye-related Problems
It plays a vital role in preventing and treating eye-related diseases as it helps in reducing the elevated blood levels of homocysteine and adequate blood levels of B6 prevent issues that can affect the retina causing eye disorders. It especially works best in preventing vision loss in older adults, called Age-related Macular Degeneration (AMD).
- Treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis
B6 helps in decreasing the symptoms of Rheumatoid Arthritis as it lowers down the inflammation in the body caused due to arthritis.
- Controls Seizures in Infants
Seizures are the symptoms of the brain malfunction in which sudden and abnormal electrical activity takes place in the brain. B6 plays a great role in controlling Seizures in infants.
- Reduction in hardening of Arteries
With the people attaining more age, their arteries start to lose the capacity of stretching and flexibility which leads to the hardening of the arteries. Taking Vitamin B6 with Garlic and other vitamins like B12, folic acid can reduce the risk of this problem.
- Helpful in preventing and treating Kidney Stones
It is helpful in reducing the risk of kidney stones in people with a hereditary disorder, who are also called as people with type I primary hyperoxaluria.
- Protects from Air Pollution
It provides protection from air pollution by reducing its impact on the epigenome.
- Supports the Immune System
It ensures the proper functioning of the digestive enzymes and balances the immunity system of the body with its various qualities leading to the growth and development of all the required nutrients of the body.
Some Sources of Vitamin B6
- Chick Peas ( Kabuli Chana / Chole)
- Bananas, Papayas, Oranges
- Avocados ( Makkhan Fal)
- Brown Rice
- Fortified Cereals ( e.g., packaged and ready to eat breakfast cereals such as Corn Flakes, Oats, Musli, etc. )
- Beans and Peas
- Whole Grains (Whole Oats, Cracked Wheat, Millet, Corn, Popcorn, etc.)
- Green leafy vegetables such as Spinach, Broccoli, etc.
- Protein foods (dairy products like Milk, Cheese, and Yoghurt)
- Seafood and Fish
- Lean meats such as skinless Chicken, Turkey, Red Meat, etc.
- Nuts and Seeds such as Almonds, Pistachios, Walnuts, Cashews, Pecans, Macadamia Nuts, Brazil Nuts, Hazel Nuts, Peanuts, Pine Nuts, Pumpkin Seeds, Sesame Seeds, Flax Seeds, Hemp Seeds, Chia Seeds, etc.
- Soya Products such as Soya Milk, Soya Cheese, etc.
Hence, 15 main and most important health benefits of Vitamin B6 and some of the main and common sources of B6 have been explained above clearly.
Also Read –
AyuCliniko is a free online consultation with Ayurvedic health experts in the most convenient way, right at your home. AyuCliniko is very immaculate and a leader in solving your online health consultation and is a major online clinic to take care of all your health needs.